Saturday, September 7, 2013

Accomplished: Goal of 2013

Gabe and I did our 5k this morning.
The goal was to run the entire 3.1 miles.


And we (almost) ran the whole thing.

I started running once a week after school on the treadmill in January.  But this summer I really ramped my training up.  I've been training hard all summer.  Getting up three mornings a week to run before Gabe leaves for work.  I was feeling really great until about a month ago when my knee started hurting while I was running.  I started icing it after runs, got a new pair of shoes, and got a brace for my knee.  Then after my runs last week the pain stuck around longer and was starting to be my entire leg from knee to ankle.  After my run on Monday morning it hurt so bad that I knew I needed to rest for the rest of the week to get ready for today's run.

Our run started off pretty good.  Then about mile 2.5 the leg pain started.  It was so intense I was in tears because my goal was to run the whole thing but I couldn't even walk without pain.  So we walked for about a 1/4 mile and then did a run/fast walk to the finish line.  At which point I wanted to scream because I could have run the whole thing if my stupid leg wouldn't have quit on me.  I was ready!  I haven't felt this healthy and fit in a long time.  I also wanted to scream because I haven't been in so much pain since giving birth.

I never thought I'd like running.  But it turns out I really like it (dare I say love it?).  So after I figure out what's going on with my right leg, we're doing a 10k next year for sure.  Well, I am at least...hopefully Gabe will decided to do it with me.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go! I am soooo proud of you. But, you need to figure out what's going on before you even think about running again. Dr. Joey's orders!! lol. So glad that Gabe ran it with you. Love, Joey

Anonymous said...

Congrats on finishing. Sorry for the leg problems though. Nice job for the team effort. I have never been a runner but know lots of people addicted to it. Now on to resolving the problem. Love you all, Mom.

Mom said...

It was fun being at the race with Levi,and watching you guys cross the finish line. But seeing you in pain like that ....I wouldn't wish that on anyone. So sorry honey.Now, keep your eyes looking forward,and take it one day at a time. XOXOXOXOX