Friday, July 30, 2010

Trying not to be overwhelmed

depressed, sad, lonely or any other adjective you can substitute for melancholy.

Sunday night my mom and dad flew out to South Dakota to help my grandma pack up her apartment and move her to Minnesota. My mom's youngest brother and his family live there so it would be nice for her to be near family. They got there and found my grandma hasn't been taking very good care of herself. Actually ended up in the hospital on Tuesday and discovered grandma had several heart attacks. The routine testing of her heart did not go well, she was unresponsive after it was over. Once they got her stabilized and responsive they flew her to Sioux Falls, where they've been the rest of the week. The doctors need to put balloons into several of her arteries but can't because grandma doesn't respond well to even the most basic procedure. She's scared and her mind and body are not handling this well. Things have been up and down all week.
I'm scared too. I don't want to loose her. I'm sad. I haven't been able to see her since our wedding almost 6 years ago. We couldn't go out for her big 80th birthday party last summer since Levi was due to arrive the next week. We were going to visit this summer for vacation but since she was going to be moving, we figured we'd wait. We were hoping maybe my mom could convince her to come and visit us this fall. I wish I could be there for my mom. My dad is coming home this week, but she'll be staying another week. Many of her siblings are there but I just want to hug her. I haven't been sleeping well.
To top it all off, Gabe's going to be gone all weekend for a guys weekend at the coast. So I'm the single parent. A job I don't do very well. He's the patient one.
So, I'm trying to stay positive. I will have a functioning kitchen again some day. Levi and I will have a fun mommy and baby weekend. My grandma will conquer the fear, get the medical help she needs, and recover.

2 comments:

Mom said...

I know this is late,but thank you for sharing your feelings. I felt closer to you,inspite of the distance.XOXOXOXO

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your grandma. I will put her in my prayers.

Alexis