Thursday, March 27, 2008

Las Vegas Adventure

Our spring break escape started on Friday afternoon when we arrived in Las Vegas. Becky picked us up and had the car all loaded up to go camping for the weekend. So, we headed out of town to Valley of Fire State Park. We were hoping to grab one of the 50 camping sites in the park but they were all full. Our quest for a camping spot took us to Lake Mead instead. Friday night we arrived just after dusk, set up camp in the dark and played some games. Saturday we got up and drove back to Valley of Fire to explore and to try and get some good photos. I think Becky quickly grew tired of being with such photo nerds.
This is Gabe at 7 Sisters...photo taken with our fish eye lens.

We explored almost every inch of the park, had a picnic lunch, and did some hiking. On our hike to Mouse's Tank we passed many prehistoric Indian petroglyphs. They were really cool!
Sunday morning we packed up camp and headed back to Las Vegas. We decided to explore old Vegas on Sunday night and headed out to Fremont Street. The highlight of the night had to be the deep fried Oreo's and Twinkies we enjoyed. It's amazing how something so bad for you can be made so incredibly worse, and yet taste so delicious. After seeing the light show, we went back to the Strip to call it a night. Gabe did go out to get a few pictures of the Strip at night. This was his favorite of outside the Luxor, where we were staying.
Monday we spent the day on the Strip. We did all the things you're suppose to do when you come to Vegas. The Bellagio gardens (all decorated for spring), the Bellagio fountains, gelato, wandering around the Paris and Planet Hollywood. Went down to the Wynn to check out the Ferarri dealership. No, I wouldn't let Gabe mortgage our house to buy one. We also explored the new addition to the Venetian, the Palazzo.
After all that, we had hungry bellies and Becky wanted to take us to a sushi place she'd heard was great, but hadn't tried yet. RA Sushi. It was good and we were lucky to be early enough that we got to enjoy it at happy hour prices. You know me...always looking for a good deal! After dinner we met up with Gabe's cousin Megan, who also happened to be in Las Vegas. The four of us had a great night wandering around New York New York, MGM Grand, and Mandalay Bay. I think we called it quits shortly after Gabe popping 4 cherry bombs. (You'll have to ask him for more details.)
On Tuesday (our last day) I really wanted to check out Springs Preserve. I read about it in the March issue of Sunset magazine. We ended up spending most of the day there because the place is huge! The wonderful thing about visiting the desert in the spring is that even the cactus are in bloom!

I would have liked to explore more but it was hot, we were hungry and starting to get grouchy. So, we spent the rest of the evening hanging out in Becky's new apartment, we rented this movie and made pizza. It was fun to hang out with Becky since we don't get to see her anymore. It was also a great way to spend most of my spring break. The nice warm 80 degree weather was much better than the near freezing temperatures here in Portland. I guess now I'll have to get done some of the work I brought home from school.
-h

2 comments:

Mom said...

Wow, you guys really did/see a lot in a short time!Great pictures,too.Welcome back. Did you see the snow falling yesterday? Some springtime weather for ya.:)XOXOXOXOX

Bryan said...

Those are some amazing pictures. Good write up too Heidi. Jupiter super missed you guys. He made it hard for me to leave with his sad eyes like the cat in Shrek. My favorite is how he headbuts your hand when you try and put the water down and spills it everywhere. I cleand up best I could. Anyway, I'm glad you guys had a good time, sounds like an awesome trip.