Monday, May 26, 2008

Weekend Play

So if last weekend was full of work, this one was most definitely full of play. Heidi and I, along with my coworker Ross and his girlfriend Savannah, went to Bend for the weekend. We left Saturday morning, leaving sunny Portland for rainy central Oregon. We were all pretty hungry when we got into town, so we headed directly for the Deschutes Brewery pub in downtown. After lunch we decided to go explore the Tumalo Falls area, just outside of town. As we closed in on our destination, the weather closed in on us. It started as heavy rain, which quickly turned to hail and lightening. It had hailed enough to completely cover the road, making things pretty slick, even with "the beauty of all wheel drive". Needless to say, there was no hike, and no viewing of the falls.

Sunday I decided to show everyone around the Newberry volcanic area, south of Bend. We started at Lava Butte, unfortunately the view was pretty poor as the area was socked in with clouds. Heidi did manage to get some good pictures around the rim though.

We lucked out as we headed to Newberry Caldera, the weather cleared up nicely, there were some clouds, but the sun warmed us up. Our first stop was Paulina Creek Falls, a 60 foot double falls. The lower view point was snowed in, so we had to make do with taking pictures from the upper view point.

By then we had done about all the exploring we wanted and were needing nourishment. Some food and beer at Bend Brewing Company took care of that. We played a round of bocce ball in Drake Park, carefully trying to miss the seeming endless piles of goose poop. It was then that we went to the concert at the Les Schwab Amphitheater, the real reason we were in Bend in the first place. We saw Modest Mouse along with The National and The Breeders. It was a great show, and the weather even held out, I don't think I felt a single drop of rain.

-G

2 comments:

jessica said...

Sounds like a good holiday weekend adventure. I love the pictures, and I'm pretty sure we saw Modest Mouse in Minneapolis. It was a very crowded Tragically Hip concert, with standing room only and lots of sweaty bodies rubbing up against my sweaty body. That will be my last show like that. I'm too old. Now I need a chair and my own bubble of space.

Anonymous said...

I (also)love the pictures!Wish there were more. And in case you didn't know, I gave up concerts YEARS ago.:)Barb