Thursday, May 29, 2008

Amusement

My team of teachers took our 8th graders to Oaks Park today. We've spent the last 2 years with these kids, and in 9 days they'll be off to high school. So, we wanted to do something fun with them. Something they won't soon forget. And let me tell you...they had a blast. I don't think I've seen so many smiling middle schoolers in one day. It's amazing how the teenage angst goes away when you're laughing and riding rides. The kids were soooo funny when I got on the roller coaster with them. They were all: "I can't believe you're really going to ride this with us!" I guess I never thought my middle school teachers had any fun either.

Thinking about my own middle school experience, Oaks Park hasn't changed much from when I was there in middle school. Yes, they have some new rides but it really looks much as it did 15 years ago! (See the above picture...It's the Screamin' Eagle and it replaced the big dragon ride) I guess I'm really glad it hasn't changed much. It's sorta neat that the Oaks Park I remember from age 14 is the same one they'll remember. Wow! I'm getting really sentimental. It must be nearly time to say good-bye to these guys. I'm really going to miss a lot of them!

The day was really a blast. The kids had a blast and we had a blast with them. We did have a few who made themselves sick, but it's amazing how quickly a person recovers at age 14. Oh...to be young again! Well, maybe not that young. There are some more fun end of the year activities to look forward to. But I have to admit that what I'm looking forward to the most is the morning of Friday June 13th. That's when I'll still be in bed at 10am!
-h

No comments: