I love fall for many reasons. But a reason that is in the top 5 is...squash.
I love squash.
I love it so much my son informed me at lunch today, he didn't want squash. He's tired of it.
But when I saw the New Seasons ad this week had a recipe for Squash & Bean Enchilada Casserole, I was instantly interested.
We invited my sister Becky over to enjoy it with us.
It was great!
And even my son, who earlier in the day informed me he was tired of squash, liked it!
1 cup onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 tsp Mexican seasoning (I just used some taco seasoning, cumin, and Mexican oregano. And I didn't measure any of them.)
2 tsp salt
5 tbls olive oil
2 14oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
3 1/2 cups enchilada sauce
12 corn tortillas
4 cups cooked squash, cubed then mashed (We used a buttercup squash.)
28oz can diced tomatoes, drained
2 cups pepper jack cheese
(We also added 2 roasted poblano peppers to put on 1/2 of the casserole)
Sour cream and avocado for topping
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet over medium heat, saute onions and garlic with the Mexican seasoning and salt in olive oil until the onions are translucent. In a medium bowl, combine onions with beans. Spread a layer of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. Place a layer of tortillas (6) on top, followed by half the squash, half the bean and onion mixture, and half of the tomatoes. Top these layers with 1 cup of pepper jack cheese and cover with enchilada sauce. Repeat layering with remaining ingredients.
Cover and bake for about 25 minutes. Remove cover and bake an additional 10 minutes. Serve with sour cream and avocado to garnish.
We've been having a hard time getting Sunday Suppers going again. Part of that is because we've had several friends return the invitation and join them for supper. It's been nice to join our friends around their dinner tables too.

1 comment:
Looks and sounds SO good. Is there any left for me to sample?? XOX
Post a Comment