I was "reminded" by a friend, and loyal reader (thanks Mike), that I never did a post on Earth Day.
Honestly, I didn't totally forget. I just haven't been feeling very inspired lately.
We did some much needed yard work last weekend. Pulled out invasive English Ivy and wild blackberries. That counts as a good deed for the Earth right?
I know...pretty lame!
So, it hit me this afternoon! (As I used pretzel sticks to consume large amounts of delicious Nutella.) Palm oil.
It's the second ingredient in my wonderful Nutella snack.
Here's the problem.
The world consumes lots of palm oil. It's in food, it's in cosmetics, it's in detergents. And most of that palm oil is not grown and harvested sustainably. Unfortunately, the world's obsession with this vegetable oil costs the Earth, and more specifically...the orangutan.
Because we care about the Earth, and the orangutan, we are going to be much more careful to avoid palm oil. (and find out who's doing a responsible job by growing and harvesting it sustainably)
Guess the first step is no more Nutella on our next Costco run!
Educate yourself about palm oil and what you consume! Here are some resources to check out!
2 comments:
What? No more Nutella? I bet Levi won't be happy about that! :-) Hope you're having a great weekend and enjoying this beautiful weather. It was 82 here yesterday. I was having a hard time staying inside and working. I have to work about 4 hrs. today & tomorrow, but can't make myself start until this evening. Tom says the weather at Mountain Golf is perfect (in the 70s); they'll be teeing off about 10:00 after Sausage Gravy and Cowboy Dinner Tree biscuits. Love, Grammy
I really had no idea how much palm oil is consumed around my house.I have some work to do to find alternatives...
Post a Comment