While focusing on happiness in 2014, I've decided to start a journal again. Old school journal. Like with a nice notebook and pen. I kept a journal all through high school and college. I found it a useful way to process making decisions and sorting through my emotions. So I decided to keep a journal this year. My journal this year will be a "one-sentence" journal where I can record and remember the happy moments I might normally forget. After all, "the days are long but the years are short"!
For the month of January, I've decided to focus my happiness project around two things:
1. Declutter and Organize
2. Re-Energize
(I've already started up my runs after school this week. Seems to be my running injury from September has healed up well. Although I have been taking it easy and started with intervals. After I get some new shoes this weekend, I think I'll be ready to quickly work my way back to full jogging.)
I was also able to get some real things out of Gabe about what might increase his happiness in 2014.
What makes Gabe happy is:
+Projects. "Doing them well...making something."
He even has a couple of ideas about projects he'd like to tackle this year. First up, will be a fermentation chamber to be constructed in the garage. Second, will be an espaliered fence to grow an apple tree in our front yard.
+Little adventures with me and Levi.
+Becoming skilled at something new. Gabe said if I'm going to be his assistant brewer in 2014, he wants to be my bakers assistant. Specifically, Gabe wants to take on the challenge of making homemade bread. Love it when our passions/interests align!
I decided to ask Levi again tonight about what makes him happy. So when I finished reading books, and we were snuggling in his bed, I asked him, "Levi...When do you feel happy?"
His answer?
"I feel happy right now." Melt my heart! I love this kid!
But I decided to see if I could get any other information from him and he said: "I feel happy when I'm playing angry birds on Daddy's phone." Yes...that's the kid I love too!
I'll be recording my progress (and our happy adventures) at least a few times a month throughout the year. Again...it will help me with remembering the moments since "the days are long but the years are short".
3 comments:
Heidi! Wishing you the best with your goals! Thanks again for having me to your cocktail party :) It was so nice to see you! Say hi on facebook every once and a while. Love Sarah
This is so awesome, Heidi. Love you guys. Joey
I like it Heidi. I'm going to be doing my version of the Happiness Project, so we will have to compare notes. Fun! :)
Alexis
Post a Comment