Friday, January 3, 2014

2014: Happiness

I spend a lot of time in the month of December thinking about, and reflecting on, the year that is about to conclude.  As many of you know, I like to set (and achieve) goals.  I like to see myself growing and experiencing things in new and interesting ways.  As the end of 2013 approached, I wasn't sure what direction I wanted to go in 2014.  Gabe and I have spent the last few years making healthier choices.  We completed projects and are enjoying the results.  We enjoy taking time to do family things.  I was sorta coming up empty on ideas to keep us focused on improvement and change in 2014.  Interestingly, the pick made in my book club for December was The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin.  As I was reading it, I kept thinking about the basic question she explores: Can I become happier by making small changes in my ordinary life?  Of course the answer for all of us is...YES.

To start, I asked Levi what makes him happy.
His answer?
"My Toys"
Then I decided to try asking Gabe.
His answer?
"Fast cars and loose women".  HA HA!
Guess I'm on my own in this more happiness adventure.

I started on Wednesday by making a list of things that make me feel good.  These are activities that I find fun, satisfying or energizing.
*Cooking/Baking
*Camping with my boys
*Traveling to new places
*Having friends over
*New plants in my yard
*Taking pictures
*Preserving memories (Scrapbooking)
*Reading
*Painting (pictures...not walls)
*Planning events
*Exercise/Running
*Completing home improvement projects
*Relaxing in the hot tub

Now my goal will be to think of some very specific changes I can make to do these things more often.

Yesterday, I made a list of all the things that make me feel bad.  Or things that are sources of anger, irritation, boredom, frustration, or anxiety in my life.
-a messy house
-the overwhelming expectations of my job.  I feel like I can never be (or do) enough with the time and resources I have.
-having to ask for help with household work.  (Don't get me wrong, Gabe is an amazing partner.  But he just doesn't see what needs to be done and do it.  I have to see it and ask him to help.  Which makes me feel like a constant nag!)
-financial debt
-people who don't put time and energy into nurturing relationships.
-"wasting time" AKA-watching TV (I came to this discovery in 2012 when I started to exercise regularly.  Gabe and I had a very sedentary routine of television viewing and snacking.  It's very hard for me to sit and watch television anymore.  I'd rather be doing so many things!)

Now my goal will be to think of some very specific changes I can make to shift my attitude or change my behavior around these things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love your lists. Than God I wasn't included in the things you want to change......LOL. Love you, Girlie! Tell Levi he needs to take good care of GrandNanny (even thought this is the 3rd time I've told him!). Love, Joey