Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Bathroom Face Lift

Since we moved into our house less than a month before Levi was born, and I couldn't do a whole lot in my extremely pregnant state, we still have plenty of projects to complete. For the last few weeks (yes...it's taken me that long) during Levi's nap time, I've been peeling the wall paper border off the walls in our upstairs bathroom. The wall paper wasn't terrible. It just wasn't our style. Here's a picture of what the bathroom looked like before we bought the house. (Notice the Chinese dragons...I like dragons...just not in the bathroom).
I also hate the wall of mirror above the vanity. It seems pretty typical in houses of this generation (since it's in all three of our bathrooms) but I really hate it. Eventually I'd like to replace the flooring and vanity but this was just a face lift. Not a complete overhaul. We have to save the overhaul for the downstairs bathroom with the floor-to-ceiling wall paper and red laminate tile.
So here's my pictures of the process.

And the finished product...It was really a project that I could have done in one weekend BL (before Levi). Trying to find the time between naps was a challenge. Once the wallpaper was down, Gabe helped and we got it mostly done over the weekend. Gabe could work while I fed and entertained Levi. Plus, Gabe's the master painter in this relationship. I don't dare paint anywhere near the floor or ceiling. But his years of experience painting in college have earned him a professional status around here.
Now, does anyone want a really huge mirror? It's perfectly intact looking for a new home. It's a beauty!

6 comments:

Mom said...

The changes look great,you must be very happy with it.XOXOXOXO

heather said...

I saw that Lowes (and probably the rest of the big home improvement stores) sell frames for the mirrors like that now... you buy the pieces in lengths and corner pieces and cut to fit around your mirror. I think they're made to fit on the mirror but can edge down to the wall so it looks just like a framed mirror. It was nice looking wood too, in different tones. But cheap, like $3 a piece maybe? Anyway, I was thinking about it for our bathrooms since we have those same huge framless mirrors. Might be worth checking out for your others?

heather said...

I was trying to find the blog post real quick that I read about it and couldn't, but here's exactly what it looked like...
http://www.shelterrific.com/2009/03/26/much-easier-to-hang-than-a-new-mirror/

I know the girl I read said it was much cheaper than that though...

Anonymous said...

What a great job and beautiful transformation! I'm thinking the downstairs bathroom will be a much bigger challenge. Hugs, Joey

Anonymous said...

Looks good!

Alexis

Anonymous said...

I love the rainshower type facuet. Looks very nice. Have a good weekend.


ww