Saturday, March 1, 2014

Happiness: March

This month I'm suppose to focus my efforts toward happiness at work.  What a huge challenge for me.  Work is the place I feel the most unhappiness.  Especially this year with new Common Core Standards, teaching a language arts/history curriculum in one hour instead of a two hour block, learning a new online grading program, having a teaching partner who is not a team player, and working through a new state mandated teacher evaluation system.  And that doesn't even take into account the 168 students I see everyday.  The amount of student writing I have to assess and the challenges of engaging students who have needs that I don't have the counseling degree to support.  (For example, the three kids I have who are homeless.  The five kids, I know of, that live with grandparents or other family members because their parents have substance abuse issues.  And the girl I found out yesterday overdosed on pills and is in the hospital.)  All that, and I'm being paid the same salary I was in 2009.  We are on year 5 of not receiving our step increase and a cost of living increase.

As you can imagine, I have found it more and more difficult to come home from work and be the patient and loving mom to my own son that I want to be.  I'm emotionally drained when I walk through the door at 5 o'clock most days.

So I'll start by focusing on the positive!
What does make me happy at work?
*The crazy and random things 8th graders say.  For instance, I overheard this gem a few weeks ago: "Sixth graders are sorta like Legos.  You know they'll hurt when you step on them but sometimes you just can't avoid it."
*I love reading the same books they do!  I love young adult literature and I love talking to them about what they're reading.
*Fourteen year olds are discovering that they can have opinions and ideas all their own.  They don't have to believe, and agree with, what their parents, family, or teachers think.  I love nurturing the buds of their independent ideas.  And forcing them to think more critically about issues that matter.
*I enjoy being able to sit down with kids one-on-one and work through an assignment or problem with them.  (Except when they ask for help with their high school level geometry!)
*I'm happy when I have students truly engaged in what we're doing in class.
*Creating and developing curriculum.

With everything on my plate at work this year, I knew I wouldn't have time to take a continuing education class.  So when one of my colleagues threw out the idea to have a professional book club  I thought that might be something I could undertake during this crazy year.  We've read, and met, about one book.  We are currently reading our second and I'm almost done with it.  The book is all about how important feedback is for students to be engaged as well as achievement.  Thinking about the thesis of the book is leading me to one of my resolutions.

In my pursuit of finding more happiness at work in March, I will focus on:
-a feedback strategy (or two) that will increase student engagement and achievement.
-send a positive email (or make a phone call) to parents and share the awesome things their student is doing in class.  I will do this every Tuesday and Thursday.
-meet with my principle to discuss my frustrations about my teacher partner.  We are suppose to be working together to create curriculum and assessments.  But because he's a month behind me, I do all of the creating and then when we meet, all he wants to do is find out what I've been doing so he can just take what I've done.  Don't get me wrong, I have no problem working together and sharing ideas together.  But that's not what's happening!  I do all the work...

Well, that's a start.  Spring break will give me a good chance to re-evaluate and see how things are going.  I also decided that with the amount of sick time I've accrued in the last 4 years, I need to take a "happiness break" from work every once in a while.  Making sub plans is a chore, but I hope having some extra time to do things with Levi (or by myself) will make me happier at work for the rest of the week.  I'm taking my first "happiness break" on Monday!

On a different (but also very happy) note.  Some one in our house is celebrating a birthday in the coming week.  Birthday celebrations make me soooo happy!  When I asked Levi what he wants to get Gabe for his birthday he said: "Beer.  Cause that's what we always get him right Mom?"  Not really kid...but OK!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You Rock! The school district is so lucky to have a teacher like you. It makes me sad (and mad) how teachers keep having to give, give, give when they should be fairly compensated for teaching the "future of this great nation". I'm glad you're talking to your Superintendent about your teaching partner. The guy obviously doesn't know what the meaning of the word is. Or, maybe he's one of those that is burned out already. Can't wait to see you guys during Spring Break. Hugs, Joey

Mom said...

So proud of the teacher you have become .I keep hoping the joys will out-weigh the difficulties. You definitely have more than your share of challenges this year. Glad you are taking time for YOU! XOXOX PS ... you DID get Gabe beer for his birthday afterall....:) XOX

Alexis said...

I'll be interested to hear how this month's goals go. I like the positive phone call/email home. I've often thought how I need to do that, and rarely do. Good idea.