Monday, December 22, 2008

Winter Wonderland....

Well, not exactly! When I want snow like this, I know where to go...Mt. Hood. Never have I seen snow like this except on the mountain. We have over a foot of snow here on the valley floor. It's amazing that at an elevation of 50ft we've gotten this much snow. These are some shots I took of the backyard this morning. I'm not sure they really do the magnitude of snow justice. You have to try and walk in it to truly "appreciate" it. We went on a walk this evening and its tough work. Some snow drifts are nearly 2 feet and since none of the roads around us are plowed there isn't much activity. We should have put our snow shoes on! Maybe we'll have to do that to go get some dinner. All we have to eat in the house is left over party food. None of it very good for you!

Amazingly, Gabe did get up and drive to work this morning (after taking nearly 1/2 an hour to get the car de-iced and out of the snow bank that is the drive way). He was there for about 10 minutes when they made the decision to close up and tell people not to come in. Why they couldn't have made that decision earlier is beyond me. He called their emergency line tonight and they've already called off work for tomorrow. Thank goodness. I really was afraid the car would get high centered in some snow and he'd be stuck. We don't have that much ground clearance in the Outback.
So, I'm not sure what our plans are going to be for the rest of the week. We've had to cancel so many holiday plans all ready. I was supposed to meet the girls on Sunday for "brunch" and Christmas gifts. We were supposed to meet Peggy and Paul for dinner on Sunday too. Both were canceled. We rescheduled with Peggy and Paul for tomorrow night but I'm not holding out much hope that things will change much between now and then. Tonight we were supposed to have Christmas dinner with Tricia since the rest of the family is else where this Christmas. We rescheduled for next week since we're still hoping to be able to leave town on Wednesday morning to head to Oakridge/Eugene to see Gabe's family.
I just can't believe that we have this much snow! It's incredible!
-h

1 comment:

Mom said...

Thanks for the pictures. It is still really hard to believe.XOX