Anyway, at our staff meeting today, every person I talked to asked me if I've told my students yet. Each time I said no, they looked at me rather surprised. After all, I'm more than half way through the pregnancy. So, at the end of first period today, I let the cat out of the bag. The kids were all cleaned up and ready to leave. I'd reminded them about the big project they have due tomorrow and there was still a few more minutes left before the bell. And I just said it. I told them I had a little surprise to share with them and told them I was going to have a baby in August. They just sorta looked at me. Then a few of them asked, "Are you being serious?" and "Is this an April Fools joke?". It didn't even dawn on me that it was April Fools and they might think I was joking! How funny!
I asked the kids in first period to keep the news quiet. Do you know how well 12 and 13 year-olds can keep a secret? Not at all. Never share a secret with one of them! So for the rest of the day, I had to start class quelling the "rumors". From the girls I got squeals of excitement, questions about how long I've been pregnant and why I didn't tell them earlier. From the boys I got name suggestions! They all want me to name the baby after them. One boy named Wyatt said I should name the baby after him and give him the middle name Oliver so the baby would have the initials WOW. That's middle schoolers for you!
-h
3 comments:
You must admit it was funny timming on your part,waiting and telling them April 1st.Your kids reactions were hilarious!I kinda like the middle name of Oliver though.:)XOXOXOX
Funny enough... the boy vs. girl reactions are totally the same in 5year olds! Except in 5 year old when you get further along they start asking you how many babies you have inside of you - hopefully your older kids know enough not to do that! :) Oh, and I have to admit, the WOW suggestion has some possibilities! :)
I think waiting is totally normal. My coworker waited for a while after even telling us because I think she didn't want to be the "pregnant" teacher ALL year long. It was hard enough fowlding the questions for as long as she did.
Kirsten
Post a Comment