Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Here is what's going on around the West pad...

Big surprise this weekend...Becky came up from Vegas and only told my mom (and Gabe) the plans.
So after our breastfeeding class on Saturday we were suppose to meet Tricia and "some friends" down at the Saturday market. I was tired and just wanted to take a nap so I bailed. Little did I know, we were going to meet Becky and her boyfriend. So after my nap there's a knock at the door and SURPRISE, it's Becky! We hung out, went out for dinner and played some guitar hero. On Sunday we went out to lunch and Becky gave dad a big father's day surprise too.
Yesterday we took a "family" trip to the beach. The weather was sunny and it felt good to put my toes in the sand for a little while. Gabe didn't join us because he had to go to Detroit. Sadly, he'll be there until Thursday. I really hate it when work takes him away from me. It's not very often but I miss him.
Today I spent the day downtown in jury duty. I've actually never had to report for jury duty before. I know...shocking! When my alarm went off earlier than I get up during the school year, I was not happy! After going through the long courthouse security line, I couldn't believe how many people were reporting. Must have been about 300! My name was called for the first trial of the morning. We went up to the the courtroom and listened to the judge explain the jury selection process. The lawyers introduced themselves and the case before asking us all some questions. After a short recess they called the names of the 6 people they wanted and the other 9 of us had to report back to the jury assembly room to be put back into the jury pool. I was really hoping they'd have the people they needed before lunch and the rest of us would be excused. No luck! Before lunch they assured us there were trials scheduled for the afternoon and would need us all back. Finally, about 2:30, they decided that for the last 2 trials of the day they would only need 21 people to stay. I have to admit I was really hoping my name would not be called. Doing nothing can really be exhausting! The only thing I could think about after lunch was a nap. I got a lot of my book read but it would have been more comfortable reading at home. So when they got through the list of 21 names without calling my name, I was pretty excited to be out of there and off into the sunshine. My civic duty is done. At least for 2 years.
-h

1 comment:

Mom said...

I'm so glad Gabe played along with us.Thanks to you both for being such good "sports" about everything this weekend. It was a lot of fun for me to pull off all the surprises.(with a lot of help)Good to hear that your day today worked out OK too.XOX