Thursday, June 11, 2009

More Stress?!

I got some word at school today that adds more turmoil to the already tumultuous life we're living right now.
I'm sure most of you are aware that schools are making cuts for next year because of decreases in tax revenue and funding. Well, due to lay offs next year, I am being involuntarily transferred elsewhere in the district. Based on seniority I'm being bumped out of my job. So, my principal doesn't have all the answers yet and she's really trying hard to keep me in the building, but I have no idea what's going to happen. This was all news I received this morning about 1/2 an hour before kids walked in the door. It was not the last day with my kids I had hoped for. It's hard to celebrate, and listen to them tell me how excited they are to see me when I come back next year, when I know there's a big chance I won't be there.
With all the other life changes that are happening right now, I'm having a really hard time keeping things together. I wish I didn't have to go back tomorrow (for 8th grade celebration) and Monday to clean up my room. Instead of cleaning my room I guess I'll actually be packing it up. I was also going to meet with my long term sub next week to plan for the fall but what am I planning for now? I have no clue what I'll be walking into in January. Being the planner that I am, all of these unknowns are really hard for me to deal with. My master plan to leave for the summer and have things squared away until I return in January has completely fallen apart.
Hopefully I'll know more soon!
-h

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! What a bummer. Hopefully it will all turn out ok.

Alexis

Dave said...

We're sorry...hope you get some definite assignment news soon.

heather said...

Wow, talk about a summer of fresh starts!
I'm sure that's about last on your list of what you want to be dealing with right now...
it's so frustrating how the education positions are so last minute; that so many teachers don't even really know if they have a job let alone where they are until sometimes days before school starts in the fall. It seems things would be a whole lot easier for everyone if positions, who's needed where or not, could be figured out a whole heck of a lot earlier than August!!
Hopefully you'll know soon.
But it's probably kind of nice that this happened with your time off rather than you wanting to be planned and ready to go in August. That way if they don't figure things out very quickly at least you know you'll know where you're going way before January. I know that doesn't help with the planner personality... or with being totally comfortable with a location of a house when you're not sure where you'll be commuting too.
Just have faith it'll all work out right in the end! I bet if you do change schools it'll be a better match for where you end up living.
Good luck and keep us posted!!

heather said...

And what is with my novel-length comments lately?!?
Shut up already Heather!