Monday, May 23, 2011

Longest home improvement project EVER!

OK...I'm embarrassed to admit that Gabe and I started giving my work out room a face lift in JANUARY! It's now May, and we put the finishing touches on the room this weekend. I guess it's easy to start a project and never get around to finishing it when it's not a room you cook in.
So here's the chronicle of our 5 month home gym creation.

In January this is what we started with:Where do I begin describing the things I hated about this room?
1. Oh, I have to start with the floor. Lovely leopard print vinyl tile anyone? We have some in our laundry room too. That's another project altogether. Which at this rate we will never get around to.
2. The two colors. I'm all for bright colors in my home. I have an orange dinning room after all, but these colors just don't do it for me one bit!
3. The electrical outlets...yes...they painted over them. Something that slowed down our project when we couldn't just replace the covers. Gabe had to put brand new plugs on as well.
4. Something you can't see in this picture. The horrible job they did painting. Want to see the ceiling for yourself?January-
So that's what we started with.
Gabe started the face lift by painting the ceiling.I painted the walls the color of my choice. My favorite color. Might not be the best choice for a small room but I enjoy it.

February-
A few weeks after painting was done, we made our decision about flooring. We decided the easiest thing to do was to just cover that "lovely" tile. So, we got some rubber gym tiles and Gabe installed them in no time.I know what you're thinking...we were thinking the same thing..."There's not much left to do now". It was 100% usable and we just sorta forgot about it.

April-
I decided I need a mirror in the room. After all, what's a gym without a mirror in which to stare at my growing muscles! So we took the huge mirror off the wall in our downstairs bathroom. No big deal, we're planning on re-doing that bathroom next month anyway. (Not sure how long that project will take to complete given the time frame on this one. I'll let you know when it gets started.) Anyway, we had some trouble figuring out what we wanted to do to frame the mirror and hang it. This little thing is what held us up for months:And here's the finished room:Oh, I forgot to mention the TV. It was my Valentine's day gift from my dear husband. Romantic huh? I tease!
Working out is about one of my least favorite things. But knowing I get to spend 30 minutes in a space I enjoy, makes it a little bit more tolerable. OK...a lot more tolerable.

Wish us luck as we rip out carpet in our dinning room and lay hard wood this summer. We've had the flooring in our downstairs closet for almost a year now. We'll probably need luck on our bathroom project too. Just those two projects this summer. Oh, I forgot...we have to paint the house. But I think we'll hire someone to do that. Good idea huh? We'd probably still be painting it in December!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks awesome!

Mike

Anonymous said...

OH my...they painted over the electrical outlets...whaattt? Room looks great though! Much, much improved!

Alexis

Anonymous said...

Awesome job, guys! Can't wait to see it in a couple of weeks. What? No mirror in the downstairs bathroom?
Hugs, Joey