Since my friend Nickie was asking about our garden in a comment last month. I thought I should try a blog series on our family garden. From start to finish. Or in other words, from planting to preserving.We have three raised beds in our front yard because we don't have much of a back yard. And the house faces south, so the front yard has the most hours of sun each day. I'm not the sort of gardener who starts things from seed indoors. Mostly because I'm lazy but also because we don't really have a good place to put them. None of our windows really get enough sunlight. So, we buy veggie starts for the most part. This year our garden has herbs, lettuce, spinach, green bush beans, and four tomato plants (heirloom, yellow, cherry and roma). We decided to put zucchini in a pot this year to see how that works. They take up so much room in the garden, we hope that putting them in a separate container will help save some space. We also planted sweet peas, snap peas, and carrots from seed.
Here's my helper digging and getting ready to plant some pea seeds a few weeks ago.
And here he is helping me plant the seeds too.
My goal is to keep updating the garden's progress but maybe also add some recipes we try. Three years ago we ate, canned or preserved everything that we harvested from our garden. The second piece of my goal is to also share that part of the process. So, stay tuned. We already have peas sprouting!
3 comments:
Levi is such a great little helper. (at times!)He loves the dirt.And it is so funny to see him pull weeds.Hoping the garden grows well!Bring on the SUNSHINE!!!
That is so precious! I see a future farmer in the family. Our garden has been in for about 3 weeks now and everything looks great (except a couple of the pea plants that snails ate B4 bait was applied). Those days of sun sure helped a lot; let's hope for many more! I love eating the harvest of the garden all year long. Can't wait to see it and you guys! Love, Joey
Just now getting caught up on blogs. Thanks for including this "series" on gardening. I was all set to get or planted and was told absolutely NOT until after Memorial Day here in Reno because it will end up freezing. Well, it snowed yesterday and today so I guess they were right. I plan to plant next weekend and I will try to take some pictures and update too. Good tip on the zucchinni, we want to plant that.
Nickie
Post a Comment