Sunday, April 1, 2012

All work and no play

makes Gabe happy that he can go to work and "rest" tomorrow.

Gabe and I have spent the last 4 days working on our downstairs guest bathroom.  The bathroom we haven't really thought about in 2 years since we never use it.  But when we bought the house, it was the room that came in second for the race to a complete remodel.

Even with all the work we put in this week, the bathroom isn't done...yet.  But we have a deadline of Friday because Gabe's mom will be here to visit.  I do have to thank my parents.  Levi got to spend two days at Grandma and Grandpa G's house so we could get some uninterrupted work time.  It was definitely needed and appreciated!

Here's what we've been up to in the last 4 days:
-Lots of shopping (5 trips to Home Depot/Lowe's/A-Boy Hardware and 2 trips to Target)
-Cleaning off all the leftover wallpaper glue.  Yes, there was wallpaper in the bathroom.  I'll show you the before pictures when we're all done!
-Taking out the floor.  Gabe had to remove two layers of vinyl and the underlayment.  That's the part of the project that took the longest.
-Taking out the vanity/sink and toilet
-Painting two coats of paint on the ceiling
-Painting two coats of paint on the walls
-Laying new floors (underlayment and cement board)
-Laying tile
-Grouting tile

I was hopeful that we'd be almost done tonight.  But I don't think my time frame for home improvement projects is always realistic.  And sticking to my timeline wasn't helped by the 4 hour appointment Gabe had on Friday afternoon and the fact that we went to see this with our friends (Alexis and Eric) afterward.  Obviously, we didn't have the time or energy to do a Sunday supper tonight.  Plus the house was a complete disaster until about an hour ago.  Hopefully I'll be back in a few days to share the complete before and after of the project!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My goodness! That's a lot of work in a short amount of time, for sure. Can't wait to see it. And, thanks to Gramma & Grandpa for helping out with our little man! Hugs, Joey

Mom said...

My pleasure.We had a really fun time with Levi.I just took a peek at the bathroom.The floor looks AWESOME! Nice job Gabe!(and Heidi,his lovely assistant)XOXOX