Thursday, December 3, 2009

December already?

How is it possible that December is here already?
As much as I love the holiday season, and having a new little one to celebrate it with, I'm really not looking forward to it. The holidays signal my return to work. I head back right after the new year and there's a big part of me that doesn't want it to come. It's been really hard staying home with Levi for the last 3 months. And there were times when I wished I was at work because I feel confident in my abilities there...everything about being a mother, and caring for this little guy, is new and I continually feel like I'm lacking. But this week I've started to think about how I won't get to watch him explore and discover new things each day. He's changing and growing so fast. And it makes me sad to know I'll be missing some of it.
Being a mom is tough, and my paying job is hard and exhausting too. And I'm afraid that I won't be able to do both of my jobs, being a great mom and teacher, very well. They both take so much out of you! Unfortunately, I can't just walk out the school door and leave my work behind me. And I don't want to spend my evenings and weekends working on school stuff because that's my time with Levi, but in reality there's no other way to do my job well.
So, after thinking about this all week, here are my final thoughts. It may seem simple and clear to you, but being the planner I am, it will be a challenge for me. I figure what I have to do now is enjoy every moment I have with my little guy. Forget the piles of laundry, the sink full of dirty dishes and the list of other projects I want to get done around here. I have to enjoy this time while I have it. The rest will fall into place...right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A familiar dilema for all working mothers. You're right - it will fall into place. It might take a while, but have patience; it will. You've been fortunate to have these months home with Levi that you'll cherish forever. Just be thankful you have such a wonderful, local support system in your family and Gabe. Enjoy all your remaining time & the holidays before you have to go back to work. And remember, there'll always be laundry, housework, and dishes to do! Hugs, Joey