Friday, June 18, 2010

Closing the book...

on this school year brings me an immeasurable amount of joy. This has definitely been the toughest year of my six year teaching career. My friends/co-workers who have come back to teaching after maternity leave, warned me about how difficult it is. They were right. I wouldn't wish returning from maternity leave to finish out 5 1/2 months with 150 8th graders on anyone. Even my worst enemy (if I had one).
To make things more challenging, there was the fact that I taught 2 different content classes, because of the layoffs last year my class sizes were the biggest they've ever been (a room of 32 fourteen year-olds is at times unmanageable), and more big budget cuts looming over our heads all spring (we have three teachers not returning to our building next year and four retired, those positions will not be filled. Plus, two office/support staff were laid off.) As of writing this, I'm pretty sure I still have a job next year but we're taking a pay freeze again, plus cutting at least 10 days off the school year which is almost half a months pay. Times are tough.

I've let myself get too bogged down with the negative stuff. That's silly since I'm in the mood to celebrate! So, in honor of the start to my summer "vacation" here are all the things I'm looking forward to in the next 2 & 1/2 months! (Starting with taking my mom to see the Lion King tomorrow of course...) In no particular order:
*Lots of snuggle time with my baby
*Swimming lessons-sign up is tomorrow morning!
*Walks and swinging at the park
*SUNSHINE
*Going to the zoo
*Starting a new painting (I bought some canvas almost a month ago)
*Reading-finishing this, then reading this and this
*A new kitchen-remodel starts next weekend!
*Story time at the library
*Planning and throwing a 1st birthday party
*Our vacation to the Olympic National Park and San Juan Islands
*The annual camping trip-this year we're going to Trillium Lake
*Starting, and maybe finishing, Levi's baby book (crossing my fingers on this one)

4 comments:

Mom said...

You'll have a GREAT summer!! Enjoy every minute of it.Play dates & all!!!XOXOXOXO

Anonymous said...

The start of summer is a sweet time....I like your to-do list. I need to put mine down on paper too.

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful summer - you deserve it. I hope next school year isn't as dire as it sounds - you can only hope! Atleast you'll be starting out at the beginning of the school year. Have tons of fun with Levi and let's all pray for summer to BEGIN! Hugs, Joey

Paul and Peggy said...

You forgot one thing on the list... Going to the zoo (or wherever) with Peggy and Zachary!!! :)