Saturday, June 26, 2010

Public Service Announcement

I don't really use this blog as a platform to communicate much about my personal ideas or beliefs. It's mostly a way to keep family and friends, both near and far, updated on what we're up to. But I chose a book for our girls night book club that I absolutely feel everyone should read. So, please pick up Half the Sky by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn. It's about the oppression of women and girls in developing countries around the world. They share many stories about the lives and experiences of young girls and women. From the brothels of India and the young girls who are trafficked for sex throughout Asia. To the women of Africa who are dying by the thousands during childbirth. Or some women who struggle through days of labor only to loose their baby and in the process of this labor with no medical interventions, they get a fistula. These women are ostracized from their community and basically left to die. The authors share these horrific stories of how women are treated in the developing world. But their intention isn't just to share these stories. I love that they also share stories of how people (most often women) are working to change what is happening. There is no reason why, in 2010, girls in many countries of the world are not be allowed to attend school, but their brothers are. It's ridiculous! It blows my mind and makes me so sad. This book inspires you to want to take action because these issues are things we should all be working to change. And the authors offer hope by sharing what people are doing and the great things they are accomplishing. These are things that can be changed if only we all make the choice to do something...anything!

I decided I couldn't just read this book and do nothing. One area the authors stress greatly is how education is really the key to ending the oppression of women around the world. So, I decided I wanted to do something to support this effort. After doing quite a bit of research, I'll be donating to CAMFED, to support educating young women in Africa. If you're interested in learning more about the book and taking action (before you start reading), check out this website!

So, I have a copy I'm willing to loan out if anyone would like to read this powerful book. Or go get it from the library! I hope it reminds you of how fortunate we are, and how with that...we all have a responsibility to do something about how women around the world are being treated.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I AM interested in reading it,and knowing more.Can I borrow your copy or is it spoken for???