Friday, August 3, 2007

Kauai: Have another Mai Tai

Monday morning we were off to explore the South shore beaches and do some serious snorkeling. Unfortunately, we had some trouble finding a good spot, nothing lived up to the high standard at Tunnels Beach. We tried a spot Dave recommended with no luck. It looked like it could be good at another time of year. Summer on the South shore is better for surfing...the waves were insane. Jen and I both had trouble getting the sand off our butts. After a failed attempt to snorkel and swim, I just laid on the beach and read Harry Potter.
Since this is my first trip to Hawaii, I really wanted to go to a luau. We heard from several sources that the best luau on the island was at Smith's Tropical Paradise. We took a tour of their 30 acre garden lead by a guide who we think was hitting the Mai Tai's early. He couldn't seem to remember his left from his right. Before dinner we watched the imu ceremony (see picture) and we hit the open bar hard. For some reason the fuddy-duddy's sitting next to us found our Mai Tai consumption repulsive. Dinner was wonderful. Gabe loved the poi. After a "few" Mai Tai's he was eating it with a spoon, no pork needed. After dinner we made our way to watch the hula show. It was a fun night.
-h

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a LOT of fun!Now I wanna go...