Saturday, October 6, 2007

Lonely Pear

Today Heidi and I spent most of the day up in Hood River enjoying some of the bounty Oregon has to offer. The bounty of which I'm speaking is apples and beer. I'd say Oregon is pretty well known for both of those, especially Hood River. It's home to some of the worlds best apple and pear orchards. As well as some good breweries, the biggest being Full Sail. Apples were the first thing on our list so we went to Kiyokawa Orchards in Parkdale. We got Granny Smith, Honeycrisp and Jonagold apples along with some Asian pears. As we were leaving I spotted this sad pear, all alone at the end of a branch on a tiny tree. I have to say I almost picked it, it looked really delicious. After we were done shopping we headed back to Hood River to the Hood River Hops Festival. In celebration of the seasonal hops harvest, a bunch of brewers all brewed special beers with fresh hops instead of the standard dried variety. The result is beer with extreme hop flavor and aroma, one my favorite kinds. We sampled beers, ate lunch and enjoyed the sun. A pretty good day if you ask me.

-G

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a great picture. I love that lonely little pear. Maybe you should have given it a home.

Alexis