We enjoy going to the farmer's market but sometimes it doesn't fit into our schedule. I've found the best solution! Great local, organic produce brought straight to our doorstep. I choose the amount of produce I want, as well as how often I want it delivered. It's great! We should get our first bin on Tuesday! On average, US supermarket food travels 1,500-2,500 miles before it reaches your table. Buying local food can reduce the amount of petroleum consumed to transport your dinner by as much as 95%. These are just a few of the many reasons shopping local is better. (For more information click here and here.)
Let's not forget the benefits of organic. You can lower your exposure to pesticides by 90% just by choosing organic fruits and veggies. If just 1% of the nation's farmlands converted to organic agricultural systems, it would remove 26 million pounds of pesticides per year from the food we eat and from the environment. Buying organic, and supporting these local farmers, encourages this type of farming. Which I love! I'm also going completely organic for our garden this year too. I've never used pesticides, but I've also never been careful about the type of fertilizer I use either. I guess that's one more way we'll do our part.
-h
Check out this cute movie about organics!
No comments:
Post a Comment