Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Dex knows...nothing

Who actually uses phone books any more? Why are they still wasting energy and resources printing these? Doesn't everyone just use the Internet to find what they need?

I'm tired of recycling these humongous wastes. Ours is usually soaked with water (we do live in Oregon after all, and they sit out in the rain all day). From the front step, it goes directly into the recycling. I'm pleased to say that we will never receive another phone book at our home. It's easy to do. Just click here. The movement to rid the country of unwanted phone books is actually pretty cool. It's important because most people don't even recycle their old phone books and telephone books make up almost 10 percent of the paper waste at dump sites. That's ridiculous!
-h

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

not everyone uses the internet...
and sometimes your local yellowpages are more up to date than finding the info online.
i'm not totally sold on the idea of a "paperless" world as the website you linked to promotes. just like "the whole world is cellular/wireless" yet I've found myself in need of a phone booth (or phone book in a phone booth) once in awhile- with none to be found.

i think it's great to "unsubscribe" to phone books at your home if you don't use them, but to generally say they are a humongous waste is a little extreme.

Gabe said...

I think this article sums up how I feel about phone books very nicely:

http://www.slate.com/id/2187035/?from=rss

Even if 50% of people use them, even occasionally, there is no reason to hand them out to everyone in town. Let people who want them, request them.

-G

Bryan said...

Thanks so much for posting this. Great idea. I too am completely baffled as to why they still send these out. You're right, they should come to people who request them, not to people who request NOT to have them.