Sorry I missed posting last night. We took off for an evening out shortly after I got home from work. A few weeks ago I got us tickets to go see Cirque du Soleil down at the waterfront. To round out the evening Heidi made us reservations at McCormick and Schmicks. While we were eating, Heidi remembered that there was a note in The Green Book discussing what to do with your leftovers when you eat out. They say to make sure to take home your scraps, in the smallest container you can, to share with your dog, or the compost pile. This saves the restaurant from having to put it in the trash, 12% of garbage is food waste, and 25% of all food produced is wasted. Given that, it's good to know there is a program in Portland that allows restaurants to compost their food waste. The McCormick and Schmicks we ate at participates in this program.
The second tip for today is to spend some time outside working out instead of heading to the gym to hit the treadmill or elliptical. Tonight, since it was beautiful here, Heidi and I went for a walk around the neighborhood. Moving 25% of your time to an exercise activity that is outside can save 60 kilowatt-hours per year. Around here, it's easier said than done for most of the year, but now that spring is here, we'll be giving this a try.
-G
2 comments:
When I'm in bigger cities (I did it once of twice in Portland and just now in Chicago) and out for a night on the town I take my leftovers from a restaurant and take the take home container to a homeless/begging person on the streets. I first did it in Seattle a few years back when we didn't want to take our leftovers back to the hotel. It works out well for us... no leftovers!, but the food is not going to waste and instead being consumed by someone who probably hasn't had a meal made by a chef in quite a while!
Also, I *think* I read an article or a report on the fact that "really" exercising outdoors; walking, running, biking, even just doing your weight lifting/stretching out of doors, gives better results... mostly physiologically (being out in the fresh air and light and looking at nature), which spills directly over to better physical results.
Yay for sunshine!!
Post a Comment